Tuesday, June 22, 2004

The great cultural war

With the invasion of Iraq going so badly Bush will no-doubt turn to God, Gays, and Guns to bolster the base. To wit, the Republicans are building up a head of steam to try to pass a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. But, moralists are no different than the rest of us and their fears are merely a projection of themselves.

You might be interested to know, for instance, that born-again Christians experience a higher divorce rate than secular couples and mainline Protestants. Also, there are higher divorce rates in the Southern Bible Belt than in the liberal Northeast.

You might also be interested to know that Dick Cheney has an openly Lesbian daughter named Mary Cheney, and that there is a website devoted to asking her to speak out against this new Crusade. My secret desire is that she weds in Massachusettes and invites the press for the ceremony.

Dear Mary


So, once again, Republicans are all: do as I say, not as I do. Texans call that "all hat, no cattle".

1 comment:

Ugly Moe said...

As a Democrat I have no choice but to support a candidate that was for the war, it's true. W.C. Fields put it best when he said, "I never vote for anyone. I always vote against".

In this case I am voting against George W. Bush because I think he is incapable of balancing a budget or directing a war on terrorism.

Plus, George W. Bush himself once said that he worries about a man that uses nation building and the US military in the same sentence. I guess you could say that I agree with him on that point.

As for Christ, he taught people to feed their enemies and turn the other cheek. If George Bush has accepted Jesus as his personal savior he has an odd way of showing it. Furthermore, who was it that placed hellfire (missles) in the garden of Eden (thought to be at the confluence of Tigris and Euprates rivers)?

Finally, I don't worry too much about hell since I believe we were all let in heaven right now, and that we screwed it all up with wars, pollution, and selfish behavior. Jesus tried to help us reclaim his kingdom but we decided to crucify him instead. Too bad. We could have learned a lot from Jesus.

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin