Friday, September 19, 2008

John the Reregulator

John McCain has spent most of his career as an earnest deregulator. I would describe his dependable career-long fight against regulation as a man acting with the faith of an ideologue.

For instance:

In November of 1993 he took to the Senate floor and complained about "the tremendous regulatory burden imposed on financial institutions".

In July of 2003 he told CNN, "I am a deregulator. I believe in deregulation".

This spring John McCain told the Wall Street Journal, "“I am fundamentally a deregulator. I’d like to see a lot of the unnecessary government regulations eliminated, not just a moratorium."

So it is with a skeptical eyebrow raised that I now listen to the earnest reregulator candidate McCain.

Barak Obama has an eyebrow or two to raise too in this speech:



I like to judge People by their actions. John McCain has spent a career attacking the very safeguards that brought us both the S&L crisis and the current sub-prime loan crisis.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin