Thursday, July 15, 2004

Equal opportunity nation

One facet of governance is deciding where to draw the lines between economic needs and societal well-being. For instance, it would be cheapest of all not to educate children, but it would be hard to have a desirable and functioning society with a bunch of morons running around. It would be cheapest if every American were a slave to a supreme American overlord, but difficult to sell them cell phones, laptops, and game-cubes, or to create opportunity for ambition.

In the crazy liberal/progressive world that I want to live in there exists a humane and decent standard of living that promotes a safe and productive society. I want to live in a society that provides everyone health care, food and shelter security, and opportunity commensurate with their qualifications and work ethic.
I don't think a man, for instance, ought to have to choose between a doctors visit for his child or a roof over his family's head. I don't think children ought to be shuffled from activity to activity because their parents need to work two jobs to make ends meet. I don't think that a bright child, however poor, ought to be left to rot on the vine for want of an affordable education.

I am a perfect example of what a little help can do. Because of the Pell grant program I was able to go to college and get a degree writing computer software. Because of that career opportunity my income rose to a level which has more than compensated America's investment in me (via taxes on income and the goods that I buy).

I want to live in an America that works harder to provide insurance to the 43 million Americans currently without. I want to live in an America that invests in it's citizens so that we don't need to outsource high-tech jobs for lack of high-tech workers. I want to live in an America that fulfills it's economic commitments (vis-a-vis the budget) so that it can fulfill it's social commitments (vis-a-vis medicare, social security, and VA care). I want to live in an America that is a responsible steward of the environment.

I don't think that George Bush and I share the same vision for America. I'm not sure why, since he certainly knows the advantage of a helping hand.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin