Thursday, May 20, 2004

Speculation can be fun

I am a Red Sox fan and we employ off-season speculation to get us through the winter. While the political season is idling I'd like to weigh in with my thoughts on Kerry's choice of V.P.


I think that all this talk about John McCain serving as John Kerry's VP does two things:

1. It produces a crumpling kick-in-the-balls to Kerry whomever Kerry does announce, especially if he announces a Democrat with a capital D.

2. The Republicans love to call the kettle black, and so will claim that Kerry is a divider, not a uniter, for choosing somebody other than a Republican. The hypocrisy of that statement will go un-challenged by the media, when it is also utterly uncommon to CHOOSE A CANDIDATE FROM THE OTHER SIDE, because they DO NOT SHARE YOUR PRIORITIES.

The reason I don't think McCain will be selected is threefold:

1. He said he isn't interested and McCain is almost always a straight shooter. If he now accepts he can only do so as a hypocrite.

2. McCain is anti-abortion and his selection would weaken Kerry's support among women (and their normally eager mates).

3. Ralph Nader will peel away support from the left. This would complete Kerry's transformation into another Gore and we know how that played out.

Who do I favor?

I'd like to see Dennis Kucinich in the role of VP. I think the sputtering support that Nader has managed to drum up would evaporate and that Dennis is one of those visionary people that could rekindle hope in the hearts of Americans. I think that hope for the future is a better message than fear of the future.

Who do I expect to get the nod?

I expect Howard Dean to be the choice. He's organized. He's good at raising money. He's good with policy. He'd make a great attack dog, and he doesn't make Kerry look bad the way John Edwards would.

Who could be a surprise candidate?

Colin Powell.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin