Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Plato on Patriotism

Plato depicted a classic dilemma which results from any effort to define morality by reference to an external authority (in Euthyphro). Here, I adapt the dilemma to our times.

Does my government approve of my actions because they are patriotic, or are my actions patriotic because my government approves of them?

If my actions are patriotic only because my government approves of them, then patriotic behavior is entirely arbitrary, depending upon the whims of the government.

If, on the other hand, the government approves of my actions because they are intrinsically patriotic, then there must be some divine source of values which we might come to know independently of the government (i.e. Bill of Rights, Constitution).

Socrates, though, felt a citizen should always obey the state. He seemed to equate residence with an implied contract that was morally binding. He, in fact, chose death over escape loosely based on that argument.

I wonder how Socrates would feel if patriotic action became equated with ideals which ran in contrast to the laws of the state?

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin