Friday, September 09, 2005

The third world

Today I find myself wondering about that term the third world. I have heard it a lot lately in the aftermath of Katrina. People are saying that Biloxi, Mississippi and New Orleans, Louisiana look like the third world.

It is a rather curious turn of phrase.

What do we mean when we say it?

The history of the phrase, which you can get in full here is: "This expression originated in the mid-1900s, at first denoting those countries in Asia and Africa that were not aligned with either the Communist bloc nations or the non-Communist Western nations."

But I wouldn't say that it was used that way anymore.

I think that when we say it we think of, literally, another planet.

On this other planet there is a lot of suffering human beings, but what makes it special is that we don't care. It is somehow normal on this third world for people to starve, or be exploited as indentured servants, as long as they keep making our cheap sneakers.

I think that is a more modern, honest, and sober definition of the phrase third world don't you?

I suppose it could also be argued that the phrase third world is also a planet of predominantly dark-skinned people, which seems to be the case for those left behind in Katrina's wake.

What do they mean on the newscasts when they compare New Orleans, then to the third world? Are they trying to harden our hearts, or garner sympathy, as in these poor devils have it so bad they look like they are on the wrong planet.

I understand, now, those people who say One World as if it weren't an astute observation of the obvious. Their wish is to live on the planet where it is not OK to suffer, where someone will come to their aid, where the compassion is.

I think maybe I'll stop using the phrase. Maybe forgotten world would be better?

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin