Wednesday, April 13, 2005

For Hermes or McClellan

I am reading Orpheus with his Lute - Stories of the World's Spring Time by W.M.L. Hutchinson at the moment. It is very enjoyable to read "the oldest fairy tales in the world" and I find them remarkably well told, but I'm a bit concerned that I hold the Bush administration in too low a regard, for when I read these words of Prometheus I thought it would be cheerfully fitting to hear Helen Thomas directing them at the Whitehouse press secretary:

"Insolent hireling! Well dost thou ape the pompous bluster of thine upstart lord, as is ever the wont of thy kind. Go, tell the new-made tyrant that I set him at defiance; no outrage shall wring from my lips the word that would save him."


How many people read one of the greatest works of literature only to fill the inkwell of their poison pen?

Perhaps I should hold my breath and count to ten?

This seems like a good time to quote Michael McCourt by way of President Clinton, although I am convinced peals of laughter would overtake such wise counsel if Helen Thomas engaged Prometheus' words.

"Harboring anger is like taking poison and waiting for the other guy to die."
- Michael McCourt -

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin