Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mad'Moiselle from Armentieres

I have a song book called, "Songs My Mother Never Taught Me" written by John J. Niles and Douglas Moore and published by Macaulay in 1929. It is a song collection of tunes that U.S. troops sang in World War I.

One of the tunes was called "Mad'Moiselle from Armentieres" and is today more commonly called "Hinky Dinky parlez-vous".

Here is a lyric from the original:


Mad'moiselle from Armentieres,
Parlez-vous.
Mad'moiselle from Armentieres,
Parlez-vous.
She got the palm and the Croix de guerre,
For washin' soldiers' underwear,
Hinky-dinky, parlez-vous.


There are other lyrics much more fun and much less printable in polite company. However, tonight I came up with lyrics that fit right in and thought I'd share them in the spirit of fun. You remember fun?


Mad'Moiselle from Armentieres
Parlez-Vous?
Never washed her underwears
Parlez-Vous?
She kept them on both night and day,
except when her husband had gone away.
Hinky-dinky, parlez-vous.

My grandfather fought in WWII and this was one of his favorite songs (it carried over). I hope he enjoys my contribution.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin