Thursday, May 10, 2007

Sony Reader

Here are some more comments on my Sony Portable Reader System (PRS-500).

1. There must be a law which says, the more careful you are with something the more likely you are to drop it. Having satisfied this law I can now say that a reader dropped from table height does not appear to suffer any damage.

2. The naming scheme for purchased books is a hodge-podge of letters and number like, cbuscerhi0014p0j.lrx, rather than "My Life.lrx". I find this matters when trying to confirm if a backup was successful.

3. The computer-based Connect Reader software has a lovely search capability built-in. It is very fast and works well. While I don't feel the need for that on my device, I must admit it is nice to search the book on my computer.

But...

Once you search for and find what you are looking for you may select text but cannot then do anything with it if said text is in a "Secure BBeB book".

My expectation is that I should be able to copy the text out of the book I paid for and paste it to the clipboard complete with properly formatted citation.

Why else allow me to select the text?

Why else allow me to search?

Without this I imagine the reader is a lot less attractive to students.

4. People that are far-sighted really love demonstrations of scalable fonts.

I am finding that the more I use my reader the more I like it. I think that if Sony can drop their desire to rule the world and instead manage to hear what their customer's want the device will continue to grow in popularity.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin