Sunday, May 13, 2007

Lightly

When I throw a javelin it has a front (point) a middle (shaft) and an end (the feathered bit).

Does the same hold true for light? When I shine a flashlight, for instance, and then turn it off, is there a beginning and a middle and an end similar to the javelin?

What happens when this light hits a wall? It doesn't go through the wall, but does the middle and the end collapse into the beginning in a type of wave-canceling erasure?

I know what happens when a javelin hits a wall.

Imagine I am outside with my flashlight and I shine it "straight up". Suppose that a beam of light does have a beginning, middle, and end. Let's call it a light javelin. As I understand it, the mass in our universe will eventually warp our javelin so that it orbits our galaxy at some point.

Is this what cosmic background radiation is?

What happens when two light javelins collide? Can a light quanta, or photon, from one javelin be dislodged by another and sent ricocheting off in another direction?

Are these neutrinos?

I think I'm going to look at the intersection of two flashlights and see what it looks like.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin