Monday, November 13, 2006

Justice

I have often stated that I think democratic candidates are best when they fight for Justice. So, I am troubled by many early signals from both Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean that they are not interested in impeaching president Bush, which practically assures they are not interested in investigating his law-breaking activities (which have already been declared illegal on several counts - see details here).

As troubling as that is to me, what is more troubling to me is that we're not hearing calls to repeal the torture legislation, or the Patriot Act, or the NSA spying program. We're also not hearing calls to investigate Guantanamo and make it conform to standards that were good enough for detaining Nazis and fascists.

Shouldn't democratic candidates be saying that they understand this election was a mandate for rejection of the Bush administration policies? Shouldn't democrats every other word be repeal?

Are democrats seriously going to pretend nothing is wrong and that America is on the right course?

If so, that seems like a catastrophic miscalculation with consequences that are already well understood. It is a comfort to me that I have not heard Harry Reid utter these kinds of absolving statements, but I also haven't heard him use the repeal word either.

Maybe I am just impatient. Maybe democrats are holding back until they have real power?

ADDENDUM: Patrick Leahy takes up the good fight, details here

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin