Wednesday, November 15, 2006

B.I.P.M.

Bill in Portland Maine has been posting over at DailyKos for a while and I generally read his posts. I thought today's post, "A Message to the Democratic Leadership", was better than most and better than good.

I also think that if the soon-to-be democratic Congress takes his suggestions seriously then America will get back on track. I particularly enjoy his inclusion of troop support. I think they should put the thing together as one bill and get it done.

Why republican leadership never took this seriously is beyond me. It may be one reason why they lost so much trust from Americans.

I would add that I think democratic members should insure that prospective replacements for Rumsfled understand these will be high priorities with zero tolerance for excuse-making.

On another front there is a bit of a race for House Majority leader shaping up between John Murtha and Steny Hoyer. While I think they both seem like good candidates to me I have to side with John Murtha since he led when it mattered on an issue of great importance. In other words, he proved his leadership qualities to me.

What John doesn't have going for him is that he doesn't seem very diplomatic. He will need to guard against being overly combative, particularly within the ranks of his own party. It is an impulse that can be self-defeating in the long run, whereas coalition-building gets more done. Luckily for us, Nancy Pelosi will be there to guide him. They'll make a good team, I think.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin