Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Nuts!

Recently I heard an odd noise in the house. When I looked up one of my cats had an intense, but dumb-struck gaze, fixated in the same direction.

I put down my book and followed her gaze and there on the floor was a very young eastern gray squirrel. It was so young it's eyes were not yet open and it seemed rather pissed off about it's isolation.

While my cat Lucille would have been only too happy to keep it company it was not the type I thought the poor little thing would enjoy.

But, what to do?

I captured it. That part was easy enough to decide and to execute.

I assumed that one or two of the squirrels on the lawn constantly assaulting my bird feeder must be it's parent(s). None of my cats were talking under interrogation, but I assumed one of them was the reason a squirrel that belonged on the outside was in the inside of my home.

I conjectured that the thing to do was to take the little guy outside and, as they say, let nature take it's coarse (much more poetic as a typo).

I would look out at the squirrel once in a while as it made circles on the lawn and slowly expanded its range. At one point a cat moved in, but squirrels can make a screech that animals with sensitive hearing don't enjoy. At least that is my guess as to what took place. The cat moved along. Perhaps it considered the challenge beneath it's prowess?

In a while longer I noticed a squirrel in the vicinity. In order not to scare it away I left the window because the mother and child reunion appeared only a motion away.

But then I heard a second screech and as I moved back to the window I saw that the newly arrived squirrel appeared to be having trouble picking up the little tyke.

Or so I thought....

What it was having a spot of difficulty doing was murdering the poor little thing!

This is a clear example of how good intentions and good actions can be thwarted by ignorance of crucial facts.

This is a clear example of why even moral values voters should use Reason if they truly care to express moral behavior.

It is true that fear or ignorance strengthen the likelihood of error, and their combination makes error unavoidable if not attractive.

We stand on the brink of watching these things combined on a nuclear-grand scale, whereas careful attention to the coarse of nature teaches the same lesson.

The blind led by the ignorant do not fare well, whatever the intent of the ignorant.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin