Friday, April 07, 2006

Mandatory coverage

Massachusetts lawmakers just approved a bill to require residents to have health insurance.

I don't think I like that idea because it seems to confuse the effect with the cause, and then to prescribe the wrong cure.

What Americans need is health care not health insurance. Why reward the middlemen?


Here's to your health


What's to stop lawmakers from passing laws requiring residents to buy citrus fruit or exercise-gym memberships?

Can any lobby get lawmakers to make their wares mandatory, or just insurance industry lobbyists?

I want people to have health care, but this law strikes me as a Faustian victory and I will maintain my skepticism until I see happy citizens to go along with the happy lobbyists.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin