Thursday, February 23, 2006

Imagine

John Lennon called on us to imagine a world where all the people were living life in peace. He claimed it was easy if we tried.

I have been trying but it ain't easy to picture at all.

Perhaps this is because the first president I remember as a wee lad is Richard Millhouse Nixon.

Perhaps this is because my favorite president, Jimmy Carter, was a one termer and vilified.

I wonder what a world would look like without possessions and everyone was living for today.

So far, I can't do it.

Perhaps the way to go about this is to imagine my own behavior in an ideal world (my ideal of course), then extrapolate that behavior into societal behavior and see what happens.

My ideal people are:

Jesus Christ
Mohandas Ghandi
Martin Luther King
Hopi chieftain Dan Evehama
Dr. Paul Farmer
Johnny Cash?

What would the world look like if it were made up of people that loved their neighbors?

Can you imagine it?

I can't.

All the people sharing?!?

The closest I've encountered to this ideal is the aftermath of the Tsunami.

We used our armies to help people.
We used our voices to comfort them.
We used our money to feed them.

It didn't last.

Why?

I wish I knew.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin