Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I want to know

If we don't kill ourselves off with global warfare then global warming seems liable to do the trick. When we're not busy bankrupting our nation to pay merchants of death we're busy sustaining a lifestyle that will ultimately destroy the planet.

We hate too much and we love too little.

And yet as I listened yesterday to the words of Martin Luther King Jr. on the radio I felt a spark of hope. A little, tiny, naked hope kindled in my heart.

How did he know what to do when "history seized him" as he put it?

How did he act so fearlessly?

How did he maintain his commitment to nonviolence?

How did he come to know so much about Philosophy, Religion, and People?

What school taught him?

Where did he learn to talk like that?

How did he face the dogs, the hoses, the bricks, the insults, and maintain his dignity?

How did he learn to speak not just in his own time but for all time?

How did he face such hatred with love?

Where can I learn that?

From politicians?

From churches that rape young children?

From television?

From books?

I want to develop an unshakeable faith in Love.

What kind of school do I enroll in?

I want to hurry to it.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin