Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Big Bang

I have never much cared for the "Big Bang" theory of creation because it strikes me as gibberish in fancy dress clothes.

There was nothing.
There was a bang.
There was everything.

Scratch scratch scratch.

Well, I guess you could say it was a "Big" bang.

Ahem.

It strikes me, really, that anyone wishing to believe that may as well believe in oompah loompahs.

While scientists peer into space trying to corroborate this piece of the big bang theory or that one I keep waiting for someone to look up and say, "Wait a minute! It's rubbish!"

I keep waiting for some lab-coated scientist to walk out of a back room, singing...

Oompa Loompa, doompadah dee
If you are wise you'll listen to me
Because the stars are so far away
They coalesce when we view them this way

So it's back to the drawing-board
for you know who.
The OOMPA LOOMPA DOOMPADEE DO

I suspect, I can't say I believe in it the way I believe in elevators, that our universe has always existed (no beginning) or that I can't possibly exist.

Descarte said that if I think, I am, and I think I think. So I suppose I am leaning towards believing that matter and energy have always existed.

It does seem that without matter and without energy there are no people. And that if there are no people there is no time. So why not say that matter and energy have existed for all time?

The question "What existed before time?" does beg itself but I'm not sure that makes sense. Can one say what circles were like before pi existed?

Am I being Oompa Loompa Doopahdee dumb?

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin