Friday, August 29, 2008

Denver calling

When Barak Obama finished speaking at the Democratic convention in Denver last night I had two reactions.

1. It is clear to me that Barak Obama understands that the failures of the Bush administration are moral failures. Katrina was a moral failure, a failure of compassion. Iraq is a moral failure, a failure to tell the truth. Guantanamo is a moral failure, a failure to respect human dignity. Enron was a moral failure, a failure of duty and of trust.

2. Americans know what is missing. They feel it deep down in their bones. That is what 2004 was all about (except to the likes of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid). Americans are better than the last 8 years, yes, but it must be remembered that a culture of deceit made it possible.

The change Obama wants to bring, summed up as "I am my brother's keeper. I am my sister's keeper", is change I truly believe in. I have seen what moral weakness and insincerity can do. I have also seen what sincere people working together can do. I prefer the latter.

I'll even hope for it.

Here is the speech, if you haven't seen it:

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin