Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Ode to Bush?

I Don't Want Your Millions, Mister

I don't want your millions, Mister,
I don't want your diamond ring,
All I want is the right to live, Mister,
Give me back my job again.

I don't want your Rolls-Royce, Mister,
I don't want your pleasure yacht,
All I want is food for my babies,
Give to me my old job back.

We worked to build this country, Mister,
While you enjoyed a life of ease,
You've stolen all that we built, Mister,
Now our children starve and freeze.

Think me dumb if you wish, Mister,
Call me green, or blue or red;
This one thing I sure know, Mister,
My hungry babies must be fed.



You'd think this song was written in 2006 for president George W. Bush. It is instead a folk song collected by Alan Lomax and published in "The Folk Songs of North America".

Perhaps I'll learn to play and sing it.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin