Monday, November 08, 2004

Big dog on Bush

Love him or hate him you have to agree that former President Bill Clinton is one of the savviest politicians in US history. He analyzed the Bush win and here is a synopsis of his thoughts:

WJC on GWB and JFK

If I can find the full address, or if anyone out there does and sends it to me, then I'll post a link to that.

When I think about the failure of Democrats I think about my father. My father is an honest, hard-working, and caring father. My father is also a union man, because he knows that a union job pays more than a non-union job, and that there is strength in numbers. My father didn't make a lot of money, but he made enough to send me to a state university. Using the Pell grant system, and working my way through college, and acquiring low-interest loans I was able to improve my education and rise into the ranks of the middle class. So, my dad worked hard and lived decent and was able to provide a better life for his children than he, himself, enjoyed. That's the democrat's version of the American dream and that wasn't on the ballot in 2000, 2002, nor 2004.

If I had no health care, a dead-end low-wage job, a poor education, and was deeply in debt I'd be living the Republican version of the American dream. They don't say this outright, but everything they do is geared towards driving down wages and part of that is stifling opportunity.

I think Democrats need to articulate that "Low-wage conservatives hate men like my father, and they hate the opportunity I've had". I think they also need to articulate that society is better off when the least among us can eat and be sheltered with work, and that they can rise with ambition.

Bill Clinton knows how to phrase what I have described and that is the secret to his success. I think it is also the secret to Barak Obama's rise. Pay attention to this the next time you hear them speak and I think you'll agree.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin