Monday, January 15, 2007

Good music

I think that music is the language of emotion. You cannot describe what it means to be "happy" or "sad" or "in love" to someone that hasn't experienced them, can you?

However, you can get a person to experience happiness simply by playing the right music. At least I know that is true for myself.


Well, for some reason I found a lot of really good music this year, albums I can listen to again and again. Here are a few of my favorites:


If you like folk/bluegrass music and you don't have O.C.M.S. by Old Crow Medicine Show, then you are missing out on string-band music that is energetic and joyful. They can sing about cocaine killing their honey dead and make it fun. I can't think of a better way to follow up the Bush shenanigans than a song from O.C.M.S.

Take 'em Away

Another folk music gem in my opinion is We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions by Bruce Springstein. He takes songs that have been done for decades and reinvigorates them with forceful performances that maintain their dignity. One of my personal favorites is Pay Me My Money Down, which Bruce updates to include a verse for Bill Gates.

How Can I Keep From Singing?

While traveling in the south, specifically in Clarksdale Mississippi at Cat Head, they had a blues artist I hadn't heard of named Precious Bryant from somewhere in Georgia. They had a listening station and I put in the CD and I couldn't believe how good she was. She reminded me of Memphis Minnie and sings just a bit behind the beat in an easy style, which is refreshing after hearing too many female blues artists forced to mimic Mellisa Ethridge and/or Koko Taylor.

Her album is called "The Truth" and I think you should buy it if you want cotton-country blues in an elecro-gadget world.

Timeless and terrific


Another blues artist I listened to and had to have while at Cat Head was Robert Belfour. He had an album there called Pushin' My Luck that was about as simple and honest as blues music gets. Mr. Belfour takes his time and tells us his troubles, mostly involving women and alcohol or a combination of the two, and brings to life the experience of blues.

I Got My Eyes On You

When I first started this blog I wanted to help you face the curtain with a bow, and I hope this is a payment on that debt.

Peace and Love,

U.M.

No comments:

Foot Quotes

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"

Charles Darwin